These Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies with M&M's are full of chocolate chips with crispy edges and thin, chewy centers. Turn a classic recipe into a celebration with coloful, rainbow M&M's chocolate candies!
Why You'll Love these Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies are so delicious and easy to make. They come together quickly in just a mixing bowl.
Make these crispy chocolate chips for any occasion. The rainbow M&M's on top make them extra fun and festive!
The cookies are on the larger size. The recipe is designed to spread so that the edges are super crispy and the centers are thin and chewy.
Ingredients in M&M's Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Here is a quick glance at some of the ingredients needed beyond basic pantry staples. Find a complete list with quantities in the full recipe to follow.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Egg yolk
- Chocolate chips
- Unsalted butter
- M&M's candies
Tools and Equipment
These are the primary tools you will need to bake these cookies:
- Large mixing bowl
- Sturdy rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- Large cookie scooper
- Baking pans
- Parchment paper
- General kitchen equipment (measuring spoons, bowls, etc)
Quick and Easy Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
What you will love about these cookies is that they are so quick to make and you can be eating a freshly baked crispy chocolate chip cookie within 45 minutes.
These cookies use nearly melted butter and a cold egg yolk, so there is no need to even pull ingredients out ahead of time or wait until they come to room temperature. For the butter, cut it into a few cubes then microwave until it is mostly melted.
You do not need to chill the dough ahead of time. These crispy cookies are meant to spread.
Steps for Making Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven: this recipe comes together quickly, so make sure to begin preheating at least 20 minutes before the cookies go into the oven.
- Partially melt the butter: do this quickly in the microwave.
- Make the cookie dough
- Scoop the cookies
Can I bake these without M&M's?
You sure can! Use 4 ounces of chocolate chips instead.
Can unbaked cookies be frozen?
Yes. Store unbaked cookie dough balls in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, slightly flatten the cookies before heading into the oven. Adjust the bake time accordingly.
Can I make these gluten free?
Yes. Try using one-to-one gluten-free flour.
Can I make these dairy free?
I have not tried making these with vegan butter, but I bet they would turn out great. Substitute water for the tablespoon of milk.
- This recipe makes 8 large cookies. For more, recipe may be doubled.
- Too many M&M's in the cookie dough tends to make the colors bleed. Instead, sprinkle M&M's on top of the cookies immediately after baking. Press them gently to stick on top of the cookies but be careful of the hot pans.
- A mechanical cookie scoop makes portioning cookies super easy.
- If the dough is too sticky to roll, try placing it in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- If making in advance, store unbaked cookies in the freezer. When ready to bake, slightly flatten the cookies before heading into the oven.
Serving and Storage
These cookies are best enjoyed the day that they are made. They will still be delicious for a few days after, but may loose some crispness.
Store cookies in an air-tight container or zip-top bag at room temperature.
More Cookie Recipes to Bake
M & M Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tea baking soda
- ½ tea kosher salt
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter mostly melted
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large yolk
- 1 tea vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 ounce M&M's, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the melty butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Add the egg yolk and continue to stir until the sugar begins to dissolve slightly and the mixture lightens in color. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and stir together with a rubber spatula until nearly combined. Add the milk and stir to combine.
- Add in the chocolate chips and M&M's. Fold to combine.
- Use a large cookie scoop to make heaping 3 tablespoon scoops of dough. Place four balls of dough on each sheet. There should be about 8 cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating halfway and banging the bottoms of the pans once on the oven rack.
- When done, the edges and bottoms should be browned and the centers not fully set.
- Immediately out of the oven, sprinkle on a few M&M's onto each cookie and carefully press down slightly to stick them into the cookies. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes then use a spatula to move them to a wire rack.
i can't believe how good these are!!! they remind me of my childhood
These are the ONLY cookies I'll be baking from here on out.
SO GOOD I HAD TO BAKE A SECOND BATCH IMMEDIATELY
I made this recipe with the exact measurements and products we have in the country ( vergoise for brown sugar ), they didn't turn crispy or thin at all but that's fine by me. They are very delicious and not too sweet. The end texture is a bit messy to work with your hands, I landed 6 cookies at a nice size, baked for couples of minutes more ! I will make this again x
Hi! Thank you for your message. Interesting that the texture was different, but I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Happy Baking!