This classic fluffy Vanilla Cupcake recipe has whipped vanilla frosting and are perfect for parties and any special occasion.
Baker's Notes On Vanilla Cupcakes
The change in over temperature helps create a perfectly domed top. The higher temperature helps set the sides of the cupcake during the first portion of the bake to help keep that quintessential cupcake shape.
Cool the vanilla cupcakes on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes, or until you can safely remove them from the baking tin. Continue to cool on a wire rack. If the cupcakes are left in the baking pan, I find that the steam/moisture/humidity that’s created as they cool makes the paper wrapper peel away from the cakes.
This vanilla cupcake recipe was adapted from my favorite vanilla cake recipe. Here, I use whole eggs (instead of just yolks) and all-purpose flour (instead of cake flour) since I find the cupcakes to be a bit more forgiving than tender layer cakes.
The vanilla cupcake recipe will work fine as a layer cake, but slightly less moist than I would prefer. If using for cakes, bake in three 8-inch cake pans for 24 to 26 minutes.
Looking for more cupcake recipes? Try these:
Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Pumpkin S'Mores Cupcakes
Vanilla Cupcakes with Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- 1 ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 ½ to 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoon milk
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers and set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Add in the vanilla and mix until combined. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add in half of the dry ingredients. Slowly stream in the milk and mix until combined. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until the last streaks of flour disappear. Mix on medium for no more than about 30 seconds.
- Evenly distribute the batter using a mechanical ice cream scoop into the lined pan. Do not fill the cupcake liners more than about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated over for 8 minutes. At 8 minutes, turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue to bake until done, about an additional 12 minutes (20 total minutes). When done, they should be slightly golden on top and toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the baking tin for 5 to 10 minutes, then continue to cool on a wire rack before frosting.
Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- Beat butter at medium-low speed of electric mixer until smooth and creamy (1 to 3 minutes.)
- Gradually add 3 ½ cups powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste or extract with mixer at low speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Mix until blended.
- Beat at medium-high speed 3 to 5 minutes, until buttercream is light and airy and nearly white. If needed, add the additional powered sugar or milk until desired consistency.
Leave a Reply