Want a frosting that is both creamy but also tastes like your favorite cookie? This Oreo buttercream is lick-off-the-spoon delicious. Not too sweet with loads of cookie bits, you are going to love it!
If you like Oreo cookies then you are going to love this Oreo buttercream frosting. Devour it on every cake and cupcake you make! It is simple to make and full of crushed chocolate cookie pieces.
Crushed oreo cookies make basicially anything taste better. Cookies 'n Cream will always be a Top 5 ice cream flavor, and this buttercream is basically that but spread on top of your favorite baked goods.
The recipe is so easy to make at home. You could use a base of cream cheese frosting or even add white chocolate, but today we are keeping it super simple. This oreo frosting recipe has just 5 ingredients!
Love all things Oreos? Try these Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies!
The easy Oreo frosting uses just 5 ingredients.
- Unsalted butter - the butter should be soft and pliable but not greasy
- Powdered sugar - sift the sugar is there are any clumps present
- Heavy whipping cream - this helps the frosting whip up, but it will still be fluffy with milk
- Pure vanilla extract - since the ingredient list is so short, use the best vanilla you can spare
- Oreo cookies - the stars of the show!
Tools and Equipment
Use a food processor if you have one or don't mind washing dishes, but you can just as easily crush the Oreo cookies in a zip-top plastic bag and a rolling pin.
- Electric mixer - I use a stand mixer, but a hand mixer should suffice
- Rubber spatuala
- Sieve - for sifting powdered sugar, as needed
How to Make Oreo Buttercream Recipe
This frosting comes together in under 10 minutes. Make sure to keep mixing until it is light and fluffy before adding the Oreo cookies. This will keep the final frosting from being overly dense.
Start by mixing the butter by itself until smooth and creamy.
Add in the sugar, cream, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until combined.
Whip the buttercream until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the crushed Oreo cookies and mix to combine.
Milk - In a pinch, you can use regular milk instead of the cream with similar results.
Oreos - any flavor will do!
Mint Oreo - use mint Oreo cookies and a splash of peppermint extract
Chocolate Nutella Oreo - add ¼ cup Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread after the butter is mixed.
Peanut Butter Oreo - add ¼ cup creamy peanut butter (not natural) after the butter is mixed. Use regular or peanut butter stuffed Oreo cookies.
The Oreo buttercream is best used immediately after making. If making in advance, store it at room temperature for up to 1 day. Re-mix by hand with a stiff rubber spatula until smooth and spreadable.
Frosting may be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Allow it to come to room temperature before remixing.
You may also freeze the frosting in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Steps for Making Simple Oreo Buttercream Frosting
- Mix the butter - use the paddle attachment on a stand mixer to smooth out the softened butter first.
- Add the powdered sugar, half of the cream, and vanilla - mix on low speed until everything combines
- Let it whip! - Increase the speed and whip until light and creamy.
- Add the crushed cookies - Mix in the crushed Oreos until combined.
Oreo Cookie Frosting Recipe FAQs
Yes, absolutely! No need to remove the filling or anything. Simply crush with a rolling pin or in a food processor then add it to your favorite buttercream frosting.
Before you start adding too much powdered sugar, try putting soft buttercream in the refrigerator. The butter might have been too warm and chilling in the refrigerator may help it firm up.
Make sure to sift powdered sugar to remove any lumps before mixing. Allow enough time for the butter and sugar to whip together to help the sugar dissolve into the buttercream frosting.
Oreo Frosting Recipe Pairings
These are my favorite recipes that use Oreo buttercream frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar sifted as needed
- 2 tbs heavy whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup crushed Oreo cookies
- Using a stand (or hand) mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute.
- Turn the mixer off and add the powdered sugar, cream and vanilla. Begin mixing on low speed until the ingredients come together - scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Turn up the speed and mix at medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until the buttercream is light and creamy. The buttercream should spread smoothly without tearing the crumb of the cake but thick enough that it holds shape when piped and spread between the layers.
- Add the crushed Oreo cookies and mix until combined.